Hate It or Love It Most Popular Posts

June 11, 2010

CUT YOUR LOSES AND MOVE ON WHEN ITS TIME....

Everyone isn't for everybody. Sometimes no matter how dope someone looks on paper, no matter how awesome your friends may think he/she is, no matter how much fun you have, you're never totally invested in being with this person. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with either of you. Some chemicals just don't blend well together, no matter how dope they may be apart.

Look at your watch, your calendar, your planner...it's check out time.

People often make the mistake of assuming that there has to be some sort of catastrophic event in a relationship in order for one or both parties to call it quits. Untrue. It's actually pretty grown up to recognize checkout time and own up to it.

Years ago, I was seeing a dude. (I know...GASP! Feign surprise!) We were a fairly new relationship, but I was still eager to show him off to the 'rents. Mommy met him on a drive down to Chocolate City, but Daddy had yet to meet him. Since Daddy & his wife were in town a day early to speak at a dinner @ NYU, I saw this as the perfect opp. to make the obligatory introduction. If you're uncertain about a beau or lady love, DO NOT introduce them to the 'rents. My Daddy casts a loooooong shadow. For a confident man, this sets a precedent in terms of expectations. For an insecure and petty man, this sets a high bar that he will use to defeat himself before he even begins to reach.

We met Daddy and some admiring Black law students for dinner in a quaint restaurant in SoHo. The lawstudents were typical in their garb, sport coats w/leather patches on the elbows, courderoys or some other slacks, and a button down shirt.

My then-beau rocked a tee-shirt under his blazer, dunks, and jeans not because giving artiste-hipster was his intention, but because he was such a contrived poser, he wanted to seem as "anti-establishment" as possible whenever possible. I tried to argue w/him about his choice and urge him to wear something more conservative. In his mind dressing the way he did was his way of winning an imaginary pissing contest with these lawyers-to-be. They may have had the degrees, credentials, and the future earning potential, but he had the style.
"We're going to SoHo!" He whined. But we were going with my Daddy.

I may play the role of the bohemian writer/thespian living in the big city, but my Daddy is an iconic gentleman to whom the Village was a stomping ground DECADES before I was even close to a twinkle in his eye. Damn near 40 years removed from NYC and after calling at least 3-4 other cities home since then, he STILL knows where to go for a good time. Daddy's shirts are always starched. His slacks always fall at the appropriate hem. His shoes are always polished and cobbled and there is ALWAYS an handkerchief in at his pocket. I can get away with a few tattoos, outlandish hair colors/styles as long as I dress and play the part of my Daddy's daughter when the times present themselves.
It's the role I was born to play. (parumpum)

Had the beau been a more sensible man, he would've realized he didn't need borrowed Hip Hop/Skateboarder style. Had he been a more savvy man he would've known that he could've had me and the offer of my heart (a most coveted accessory) had he played his cards right. I watched him flail miserably in conversation with the 3 Black Ken Doll Baby Lawyers and and noted the shock & disdain they masked poorly. I saw the flicker of disapproval on my Daddy's face as my arm candy unknowingly made numerous social gaffes. Ever so slight, but I caught it. I guess a part of me knew what was going to happen that night when he pulled on the snarky teeshirt that made me wince.

The then-beau didn't get that. He got hung up on not knowing the right wine to order, the fact that he forgot to put his napkin in his lap.... smh....He allowed his insecurities to manifest as unspoken challenges issued from men he allowed to defeat him before he even opened his mouth; he came into the meeting with a chip on his shoulder about where they attended school versus his school. My polite conversation with one person was misconstrued as flirting which led to him being sullen for the rest of the night. I knew then it was time to close out our tab.

There was nothing wrong with him. He & I just weren't meant to blend.

Mommy tends to think the universe is random, while Daddy has always said that everything happens for a reason. I have a tendency to agree with them both. I think some people are randomly placed in your life for some divine purpose. Everything that happens may not be wrapped up in a transparent reason, but there is some life lesson, some take away, something that can help you in some way shape or form if you let it.


From: http://www.itsthelaurenshow.com/

No comments: