Hate It or Love It Most Popular Posts

October 18, 2011

ONLINE DATING....THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE (FROM 2008)

Its 2008. There is technology available to us and ingrained into our daily lives that our grandparents could never have dreamed of … all of it greatly effecting the way we date and love in the 21st century.

Now you have cell phones, giving use 24 hour access to your boo. There is GPS tracking for catching that lying hoe. Text messages have shown us that “b*tches love smiley faces” (Boondocks reference). The list goes on for days …

But … the single biggest impact on dating from the “Information Age” has to be online dating.

Think about it … in your PJs chilling at the crib you can find love, spit game to strangers, or just set up that jump off situation for the night.

Or … you can have a team of computers in a cold room far away use the doctorate research of the greatest minds to scour the internet and find you the perfect match …

WOW …

Personally, if I haven’t found Mrs. SBM by 27 … I’m headed to e-Harmony and finding my mate. I am a big believer in online dating (in theory) … so let me tell you why.

More selection

If you think about it … the dating system is horribly inefficient (here is where my Economics degree gets utilized). The whole thing is based on being at the same place at the same time with the right person … and then actually interacting with them. Whether its the club, bar, professional group, supermarket … its still a lot of chance. This, as an auctioning system (in pure economic terms that what dating is) … its highly inefficient. Online dating opens up your selection pool significantly.

Best foot forward

Suppose lightning does strike and you see Mrs. Right. Oh … wait … she has a ketchup stain on her shirt from that chicken biscuit she had this morning … “keep it moving”. Now you are passing up a happiness you will never know … because of a random event. Since online profiles are the best representation of a person, this is what you should judge someone on (as long as its honest … no more putting up high school picks as your profile pics). This takes out a lot of the volatility that happens in the real world … you know … even things out a bit.

More information sooner

Me … SBM … doesn’t think a phat ass is telling about how good your gonna treat me or if your a b*tch or not. As a result, I’m not going to approach every attractive female (which would consume all my day with the fine women here in the Nation’s capital). Online, I know what you look like, what you do for a living, if you went to school, if you got kids, and if your best friends with my crazy ex. This is sooooo helpful in figuring out who gets poked … and who get passed on.

Computers are smart

Some of these sites actually use well researched algorithms to match people together. Having a computer science background … damned if I can’t put some trust in these machines. Hell … I trust the navigation in my car to get me home … why not trust a machine to make sure I’m putting the ring on the right finger.

Now … I say all this with a MySpace failure and a Facebook failure under my belt and having never used Match, e-Harmony, or BlackPeopleMeet … but I’m a thinker … so I still believe its the future.

No comments: